Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rear defogger not working!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear defogger not working!

So I got the car 1 month ago and haven't noticed till now but the rear defogger isn't working.
I believe its the button in the middle of the HVAC, the other 2 buttons next to it do light up and work (the buttons with the snowflake and recirculation symbols), the rear is the only that doesn't light up. I thought it would only work with a certain mode in the left wheel or AC/Heat only, but after trying most of them and the light didn't come on I believe it's a problem.

I've read around and some people mention it's a BCM problem, or switch the fuse? Could somebody help me locate these fuses and where can I buy a new one, or does the car have spare ones?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just do a simple check. theres plugs on the back window for it, make sure they are plugged in. happened to me after i got my windows tinted.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by BPacak
just do a simple check. theres plugs on the back window for it, make sure they are plugged in. happened to me after i got my windows tinted.
Alright will check this in the morning! Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way another thing I've noticed.

Today when it was dark out I turned on my car and headlights, when I press the rear defogger button the lights/rest of car looks like it "loses power" for 1 second, like the lights dim a bit including headlights and dome light, then it goes back to normal. I pressed several times the rear defogger and everytime it causes this effect. I feel like it tries to push energy through a "broken" circuit or something like that. Maybe the power sent to activate that module gets nowhere and it just wastes battery on the attempt.

Anyone had this issue?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dieGone
Alright will check this in the morning! Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way another thing I've noticed.

Today when it was dark out I turned on my car and headlights, when I press the rear defogger button the lights/rest of car looks like it "loses power" for 1 second, like the lights dim a bit including headlights and dome light, then it goes back to normal. I pressed several times the rear defogger and everytime it causes this effect. I feel like it tries to push energy through a "broken" circuit or something like that. Maybe the power sent to activate that module gets nowhere and it just wastes battery on the attempt.

Anyone had this issue?
That's pretty normal. Try pressing the window buttons to the up position (even though they're up), and you'll see the same effect. Do this with the car running of course.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Your defogger is working that's why your headlights dim. Lights burnt out on hvac.

Last edited by sLAsh; 11-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM

i have the same issue on my rear defrost but mine is because they broke the little soldier that holds the wire to the window when they tinted it, of course since it was summer i didnt notice till i needed it lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrader88
i have the same issue on my rear defrost but mine is because they broke the little soldier that holds the wire to the window when they tinted it, of course since it was summer i didnt notice till i needed it lol.
WTH?! My car didn't come with the little soldier. I'll have to ask the previous owner about this malarkey.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
That's pretty normal. Try pressing the window buttons to the up position (even though they're up), and you'll see the same effect. Do this with the car running of course.
Lol I don't have power windows :/

Originally Posted by sLAsh
Your defogger is working that's why your headlights dim. Lights burnt out on hvac.
I thought this too, I'll check tomorrow again while the car is on ill go in the back.

Originally Posted by mrader88
Damn I better check this quick, I've been too busy lately lol
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by dieGone
Lol I don't have power windows :/
It was hard to tell by the description.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
It was hard to tell by the description.
Haha I got the idea though, I had a car with them and It did do this as well when I thought about it.