Well, while I was away, I was still reading around on the forum, and I finally noticed.. Here in the drivetrain section, we don't even have a sticky thread, with given information, for the F35 (SS/SC) transmission fluid, or even for the F35 (SS/TC).
I recently bought the fluid for mine, with not much help from previous threads. I would guess that over 85% of them contained incorrect information. We have people using the wrong fluid, with the wrong additives in the fluid, wrong weight of fluid, wrong amount of fluid, etc.
Also, the How-To that we DO have for the F35 (SS/SC) transmission, was completely incorrect. The OP who made the How-To, used Mobil-1 straight GL in his transmission.
We need to offer correct information for people on this forum who are in search of learning about this car.
On to the information..
1) The F35 (SS/SC) does take a 75W-90, GL-4, transmission fluid.
2) You DO NOT
, I cannot make this any clearer, DO NOT
, want friction modifiers! The friction modifiers will not allow the synchronizers in the transmission to work properly. This goes for BOTH
the SS/SC and the SS/TC.
3) As for the limited-slip.. Ours are sealed. They are "Quaife ATB" differentials, and the lubricant does not affect them. AT ALL! This is why you DO NOT
need limited-slip additives! This goes for BOTH
the SS/SC and the SS/TC.
3a) *Side note* - This is why the How-To, (On this forum), is incorrect. The OP used 75W-90, WITH
limited-slip additives. He is throwing differential gear fluid, in his transmission. The fluid is too slippery for proper synchronizer operation.
4) Even though the F35 comes with GL-4, you might want to use an aftermarket GL-5, if you feel need be. You can, although, make sure it is the correct specs as mentioned above! MOST
GL-5's meet or exceed GL-4 specs.
5) The F35, (SS/SC) transmission, comes with fluid part number 21018899.. While The F35, (SS/TC) transmission, comes with fluid part number 88862472.
6) SS/TC guys, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT
run anything other than part number 88862472, this is the most current GM fluid for your transmission.
7) SS/SC guys, feel free to use part number 88862472, in fact, I HIGHLY
recommend it. It is a 75W-85 GL-4. It is the new "standard", over the old 21018899.
you feel the need to go aftermarket on the fluid, the ONLY
fluid I recommend is - Red-Line 75W-90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil, and I ONLY
recommend it for the SS/SC guys. You NEED
, if you plan on using this fluid, because there is regular 75W-90, which has friction modifiers. It does not matter if you have G85 or not. Like I said earlier, our limited-slip is a sealed unit. No fluid you put in there, will see it.
9) DO NOT
use Royal Purple, or any of that synchromesh garbage. Either stick with the 2 factory numbers I provided, or the Red-Line fluid. NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S
10) The transmission fluid should be changed around, in my opinion, 60k. As for the amount, you will need to buy 2 quarts. However, it will only take 1.7 quarts.
11) The code for the SS/SC transmission is F35-MC2. The code for the SS/TC transmission is F35-MU3.
Feel free to ask questions. I believe everything has been clearly answered, though.