Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

SS/TC No Boost No Codes, ?????

Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/TC No Boost No Codes, ?????

So I've taken her in twice because of the check engine light and only making 5-6lbs of boost and dying at start up. She also would randomly make boost, sometimes she would make 15ish lbs and run like a champ, other times it was like hitting a brick wall. The first time they cleared up Lean fuel trim, low fuel press, and some other fuel code. She ran strong for about 15mi then it started all over. Second time they reflashed her, and called it good. I picked her up and immediately noticed she was slow as dirt, and only making 5-6ish lbs but not CEL. I pulled back into the dealership. Me and the tech went for a ride not ever dealing with the T/C he thought it was running fine till we talked and I showed him how it was running.

Here is the problem, the car isn't flagging any codes when she doesn't make boost, he also said while they had it hooked up it would flag fuel trim codes, but the readings were well within limits but for some odd reason it would trip the CEL.

So now I'm at home with a free rental as they try to figure it out. I'm just curious as to WTF is going on. Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be? I was thinking maybe the waste gate, but wouldn't that still flag a code?

BTW I'm bone stock.

-Alex
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost leak
Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM

word from the dealership is that my boost sensor is reading 14lbs when the car isn't running... so they ordered a new sensor and all the piping.

I'm 90% certain it isn't a boost leak though, it would be odd for the car to dump over 10lbs of boost randomly. Sometimes the car runs fine other time its slower than a fat lady in the moto scooter from walmart

-Alex
Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Hey, new here..But had the same problems and just got mine back from the dealership..They found that a flange at the front of the frame damaged the top of the cooler, put a hole in it causing the loss of boost etc..they replaced the intercooler and its been perfect ever since! Might not be the same thing going on with you but just wanted to let you know...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BleedBlue09
Hey, new here..But had the same problems and just got mine back from the dealership..They found that a flange at the front of the frame damaged the top of the cooler, put a hole in it causing the loss of boost etc..they replaced the intercooler and its been perfect ever since! Might not be the same thing going on with you but just wanted to let you know...
Thanks for the imput, I hope its something simple like that. I'm tired of driving an rental that feels like it had no soul

-alex
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sevensix9
word from the dealership is that my boost sensor is reading 14lbs when the car isn't running... so they ordered a new sensor and all the piping.

I'm 90% certain it isn't a boost leak though, it would be odd for the car to dump over 10lbs of boost randomly. Sometimes the car runs fine other time its slower than a fat lady in the moto scooter from walmart

-Alex
Wait, are you talking diffrential or Absolut?
My gauge is calibrated in Difrential.

But if it's absolute, it SHOULD read 14 - 15 psi with the engine off. As that is normal standard everyday sea level atmospheric pressure. But a diffrential gauge should read 0.

Mine goes -30 to +15 but it says In Hg and PSI.. So I have no idea
if its calibrated to read in PSI or In Hg?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by insylem
Wait, are you talking diffrential or Absolut?
My gauge is calibrated in Difrential.

But if it's absolute, it SHOULD read 14 - 15 psi with the engine off. As that is normal standard everyday sea level atmospheric pressure. But a diffrential gauge should read 0.

Mine goes -30 to +15 but it says In Hg and PSI.. So I have no idea
if its calibrated to read in PSI or In Hg?
to be honest I'm not sure which sensor they are referring to, they just said it reads 14psi when it's off and they think that is the problem. I was under the impression that it should see 14psi when off due to atmospheric psi.

The problem is the dealership has no ******* idea what they are doing. they thought 5lbs of boost was right for the car!

-Alex
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 AM

did you ever figure the problem out cuz i have the same exact problem 09 cobalt ss tc will sometimes boost 15 16 other times 5 6 only mod is down pipe
Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltsslow
did you ever figure the problem out cuz i have the same exact problem 09 cobalt ss tc will sometimes boost 15 16 other times 5 6 only mod is down pipe
Yeah man the dealership replaced the boost sensor before the inlet side of my Intercooler. The sensor went bad and was reading boost when it shouldn't.

If you still have a warranty I'd let them handle it. They had to order new pipeing because they couldn't just order the sensor. But the tech just pop'd off the new sensor and put it in.

-Alex
Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM

I will tell you... my car did the same thing.

Boost Control Solenoid just took a **** on you! But be warned, the part is on National Backorder!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:10 PM

well it only happens sometimes like today boostin like **** 6 pounds. lunch control 15 pounds then later on was fine 20 pounds idfk . see its tuned now an in lunch control should see20 22 pounds of boost an regular mode should be 15 16. but now in lunch control only 15 pounds an regular mode 5 mabe 6 pounds boost. guess retune it an take her inn : ( idk tho any help
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah man the dealership replaced the boost sensor before the inlet side of my Intercooler. The sensor went bad and was reading boost when it shouldn't.

If you still have a warranty I'd let them handle it. They had to order new pipeing because they couldn't just order the sensor. But the tech just pop'd off the new sensor and put it in.

-Alex
well it only happens sometimes like today boostin like **** 6 pounds. lunch control 15 pounds then later on was fine 20 pounds idfk . see its tuned now an in lunch control should see20 22 pounds of boost an regular mode should be 15 16. but now in lunch control only 15 pounds an regular mode 5 mabe 6 pounds boost. guess retune it an take her inn : ( idk tho
Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 AM

well it only happens sometimes like today boostin like **** 6 pounds. lunch control 15 pounds then later on was fine 20 pounds idfk . see its tuned now an in lunch control should see20 22 pounds of boost an regular mode should be 15 16. but now in lunch control only 15 pounds an regular mode 5 mabe 6 pounds boost. guess retune it an take her inn : ( idk tho
Thats how mine started, at random points in my drive, half highway half city, I would have the boost issues, till one day it was stuck at about 6-7lbs and maybey a spike to 10.

-Alex
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 AM

The car has codes...it just has not popped a SES light yet. If you know someone w/ a code reader I'm sure they could read the stored codes. When our cars detect something is wrong, even without given you the reduced pwr message on the info center, it will go into protection mode to safe the CAT.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Thats how mine started, at random points in my drive, half highway half city, I would have the boost issues, till one day it was stuck at about 6-7lbs and maybey a spike to 10.

-Alex
it sux how the hell do i fix it cuz the ppl at the dealer are ****** dumb ass **** when it comes to these beast ass cobalt turbo charged cars

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
The car has codes...it just has not popped a SES light yet. If you know someone w/ a code reader I'm sure they could read the stored codes. When our cars detect something is wrong, even without given you the reduced pwr message on the info center, it will go into protection mode to safe the CAT.
i haVE NO CATS HAHN CATLESS DOWN PIPE WIT THE TRIFECTA TUNE THAT ROLES ON CORVETTS

Last edited by cobaltsslow; 10-27-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 AM

it sux how the hell do i fix it cuz the ppl at the dealer are ****** dumb ass **** when it comes to these beast ass cobalt turbo charged cars

i haVE NO CATS HAHN CATLESS DOWN PIPE WIT THE TRIFECTA TUNE THAT ROLES ON CORVETTS
WOW.....

Since you have the trifecta tune that "roles on corvetts"....maybe you where smart and purchased a data cable...Use the EZTune program to check for codes. I imagine your going to have 1-3 codes in the "pending" section. P101 or P2178 imho

Yea..sucks dealers do not know how YOU messed up YOUR car.

If your trims are rich=Boost Leak
If your trims are lean=Vacum Leak

I just went through this with a blow intercooler side tank
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Does it " role on corvetts " when its stuck at 5 LBS of boost?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM

Like I said, check the boost sensor between the turbo and the intercooler, thats the one that went bad for me. I read somewhere on here that several people had also had issues with a bad run of those sensors after getting the charge pipe recall done

-Alex
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
WOW.....

Since you have the trifecta tune that "roles on corvetts"....maybe you where smart and purchased a data cable...Use the EZTune program to check for codes. I imagine your going to have 1-3 codes in the "pending" section. P101 or P2178 imho

Yea..sucks dealers do not know how YOU messed up YOUR car.

If your trims are rich=Boost Leak
If your trims are lean=Vacum Leak

I just went through this with a blow intercooler side tank
no only roles on baseline vetts when it runs right at 22 lbs of boost lmao not at 5lbs hahaha an thanks for the in put on that ill let the dealer look for it. but dose have black smoke when i get on it an an is throwing a p2187 dont know what that means an throwin a p0451 evap emission control system pressure sensor range/peformance

Like I said, check the boost sensor between the turbo and the intercooler, thats the one that went bad for me. I read somewhere on here that several people had also had issues with a bad run of those sensors after getting the charge pipe recall done

-Alex
should i tell the deler to check the boost sensor between the turbo an innercooler?cuz i dont think they can just do what i ask them cuz they usaly have to contact gm an they tell them what to do. an yeaa i had the recall charge pipe done about 2 months ago an it worked fine but now its havein the same exact problem as your car did so its probly the same problem.hope they get it fixxed..

Last edited by cobaltsslow; 10-27-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

no only roles on baseline vetts when it runs right at 22 lbs of boost lmao not at 5lbs hahaha an thanks for the in put on that ill let the dealer look for it. but dose have black smoke when i get on it an an is throwing a p2187 dont know what that means an throwin a p0451 evap emission control system pressure sensor range/peformance

should i tell the deler to check the boost sensor between the turbo an innercooler?cuz i dont think they can just do what i ask them cuz they usaly have to contact gm an they tell them what to do. an yeaa i had the recall charge pipe done about 2 months ago an it worked fine but now its havein the same exact problem as your car did so its probly the same problem.hope they get it fixxed..

DTC P2187: Fuel Trim System Lean at Idle

I would bet there is a leak somewhere in the charge pipes or intake.

DTC P2187: Fuel Trim System Lean at Idle

If not within the specified range, inspect for the following:

• With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor parameter. The MAP sensor pressure should be within the range specified for your altitude. Refer to Altitude Versus Barometric Pressure.

⇒ If the MAP sensor does not indicate the correct barometric pressure, refer to DTC P0106 or DTC P0107 or P0108.

• With the engine idling, observe the mass air flow (MAF) sensor parameter. The MAF sensor parameter should be between 2-6 g/s at idle.

⇒ If the MAF sensor parameter is not between 2-6 g/s at idle, refer to DTC P0100, P0102, or P0103 or DTC P0101.

• Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections

• Insufficient fuel in the tank

• Low fuel pressure--Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis.

• Ethanol concentration greater than 15 percent--Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.

• Fuel contamination--Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.

• Malfunctioning fuel injectors

• Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components from the HO2S forward--Refer to Symptoms - Engine Exhaust.

• Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold and the throttle body

• Vacuum leaks at the charge air bypass valve solenoid, the charge air bypass valve, and the charge air bypass valve vacuum tank.

• The air induction system and the air intake ducts for leaks or for a missing air filter element

• A cracked EVAP canister

• Evaporative pipes obstructed or leaking

• The crankcase ventilation system for leaks--Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis.

• The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have suffered corrosion, water intrusion, or contacted the exhaust system

• Incorrect terminal tension at electrical connectors

• Loose, corroded, or mislocated electrical ground connections

• The HO2S signal circuit open, shorted to ground, or shorted to the low reference circuit

• Malfunctioning engine components--Refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical.

I would bet there is a leak somewhere in the charge pipes or intake.

Last edited by rukkee; 10-27-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Same problem Turbo conversion Was the Mass Air sensor

I do have a boost leak. fixed by unpluging the sensor and pluging back in thus reseting the ECU sometimes fixes sometimes not but eventually it stays fixed.
Dealer suggested a Mass Air Sensor Cleaner or replace. Did throw codes and then quite. 102,000 miles on the car with turbo kit.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ssyeller
I do have a boost leak. fixed by unpluging the sensor and pluging back in thus reseting the ECU sometimes fixes sometimes not but eventually it stays fixed.
Dealer suggested a Mass Air Sensor Cleaner or replace. Did throw codes and then quite. 102,000 miles on the car with turbo kit.
Wow ....102K turbo'ed ? Thats impressive. That LSJ has held up nicely .....congrats !
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM

turbo kit was about 60,000 miles ago

30 mpg calculated by real world calculation. Trips only. Normal 28mpg.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ssyeller
30 mpg calculated by real world calculation. Trips only. Normal 28mpg.
60K on a turbo kit is still impressive lol.