General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Blu3's Post Deployment SS Sedan Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 09:09 PM

Received 171 Likes on 132 Posts
Looks like I’ll be back on deployment soon… so I guess this is not the the pre deployment thread. Sorry I been away so long. Haven’t done much with the car since it was wrapped last year. I did get upgraded fog lights to match the headlights but have not installed them yet. Also sent the headlights back for warranty work and upgrades. Probably won’t have pictures of that until after deployment 😟
Old 08-27-2023, 06:45 PM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Looks like I’ll be back on deployment soon… so I guess this is not the the pre deployment thread. Sorry I been away so long. Haven’t done much with the car since it was wrapped last year. I did get upgraded fog lights to match the headlights but have not installed them yet. Also sent the headlights back for warranty work and upgrades. Probably won’t have pictures of that until after deployment 😟
Are you being deployed for environmental (forest fires) like the national guard or is the possibility of deployment overseas? Can't imagine why they would call for you as an older vet.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Are you being deployed for environmental (forest fires) like the national guard or is the possibility of deployment overseas? Can't imagine why they would call for you as an older vet.
Just another regular deployment. I’ll be out on ship again, hopefully with port calls this time around. Last one was 2020 during covid and we never ported after we left home. I’ve been in 19 years and a few months. I put in my retirement paperwork to retire at 20 years back in January, and it was denied. Instead I was told I was too important and transferred back to sea duty for 3 years. So now I can retire at my 22 year mark. A couple days ago I was just told I’m not important enough to advance…. Imagine being so important to navy they won’t let you leave but then tell you you’re not important enough to advance…. The hypocrisy in this is absurd.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does Cloyes not make an actual timing kit for the LNF? Looks like the one you got is for the L61/LSJ. I havent looked into it so I dont know

Last edited by 07MetallicSC; 04-25-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BryantMales
Does Cloyes not make an actual timing kit for the LNF? Looks like the one you got is for the L61/LSJ. I havent looked into it so I dont know.
They make the kit for all Cobalts, including the LNF. In fact, it's the OEM.
I did the full thing: timing chain, balance shaft chain, water pump, and all the sprockets. Might as well do everything while you're in there.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:15 PM

Update: I'm deployed now. AGAIN. just doing a little looking to fix my cooling issue. Ordered the ZZP radiator, just to upgrade while I'm in there. My real issue is one of my fans. I found plenty of cheap replacements, but I'm kinda looking for something worth buy. maybe an upgrade of sorts. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2023, 10:58 PM

Update: I'm deployed now. AGAIN. just doing a little looking to fix my cooling issue. Ordered the ZZP radiator, just to upgrade while I'm in there. My real issue is one of my fans. I found plenty of cheap replacements, but I'm kinda looking for something worth buy. maybe an upgrade of sorts. Any suggestions?
I wish I remembered what brand I replaced mine with on my GT when it died, it seemed a bit beefier than stock. Rock auto does have GM Geniune dual fan setup.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:09 PM

I wish I remembered what brand I replaced mine with on my GT when it died, it seemed a bit beefier than stock. Rock auto does have GM Geniune dual fan setup.
That's probably the rout I'll end up going. I mean the stock fans lasted from 09 until the end of last summer basically. It's been tuned for years and set to come on at 194 I think. Its safe to say it has gotten is fair share of abuse.

Also thanks for the link. It really help with the internet being so slow out here on the ship
Old 03-10-2024, 09:55 PM

Interestingly enough, I forgot to order the fan back a while ago, and just ordered today.... wholesale price of $110 USD... $123 shipped. Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2024, 07:48 PM

Interestingly enough, I forgot to order the fan back a while ago, and just ordered today.... wholesale price of $110 USD... $123 shipped. Thanks again!
Great price!
Old 03-15-2024, 08:40 PM

Getting kinda board out here, so I thought I'd make update. The car is still sitting at home where I left it 5 months. It's now covered in early spring pollen. Cooling fans arrived, the ZZP radiator was out of stock when I ordered, so I passed on that for now. Maybe I'll catch it on their Black Friday Sale.

Thinking about replacing the carpet in the car later in the spring when I get home, maybe even add sound deadening. I'm sure a couple people around have pulled the carpet to dynamat or similar. Seems pretty easy I have almost had the entire interior out of the car previously. The center console seems like it would the be most difficult part. I wouldn't say the interior of the car smells bad so to say, but it does sometimes have an old carpet like smell. I figured a new carpet and mats would most likely solve that. I guess I'll probably look into getting a new trunk mat too. IDK.

In the fall before I left, I found a car with factory heated seats in the junk yard and pulled all the parts for that, including the dash trim, switches heating pads, all the pigtails and connectors. So I'll probably take on that project when I have the seats out for the carpet. Or maybe I'll get the carpet in, and use the old LSJ seats that I have while I install the heated seat parts the LNF seats. Back in the summer (2022) I did the radio install I never installed my back up camera or my hand free microphone. I ended up getting the mic done, when I put new I connected everything for the camera to make sure it worked but never mounted the camera, so maybe I'll get that done.... 🤣

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-15-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:46 AM

Getting kinda board out here, so I thought I'd make update. The car is still sitting at home where I left it 5 months. It's now covered in early spring pollen. Cooling fans arrived, the ZZP radiator was out of stock when I ordered, so I passed on that for now. Maybe I'll catch it on their Black Friday Sale.

Thinking about replacing the carpet in the car later in the spring when I get home, maybe even add sound deadening. I'm sure a couple people around have pulled the carpet to dynamat or similar. Seems pretty easy I have almost had the entire interior out of the car previously. The center console seems like it would the be most difficult part. I wouldn't say the interior of the car smells bad so to say, but it does sometimes have an old carpet like smell. I figured a new carpet and mats would most likely solve that. I guess I'll probably look into getting a new trunk mat too. IDK.
While I have done sound deadening on my car from the trunk, to the rear deck, and even removing the back seats completely, I haven't actually lifted the carpet out to do the rest of the body. Noico has been great, however if I wouldn't use the 80mil stuff on the doors - the panel clips don't hold in place anymore (unless you go inside, but I did have some panel rattling issues at higher volumes). As for the carpet itself, I would get one of those drill brush agitators first with some carpet cleaner and an extractor. I did that on my old G5 and it worked wonders, plus I didn't have to muss with trying to find new carpet and installation.

In the fall before I left, I found a car with factory heated seats in the junk yard and pulled all the parts for that, including the dash trim, switches heating pads, all the pigtails and connectors. So I'll probably take on that project when I have the seats out for the carpet. Or maybe I'll get the carpet in, and use the old LSJ seats that I have while I install the heated seat parts the LNF seats. Back in the summer (2022) I did the radio install I never installed my back up camera or my hand free microphone. I ended up getting the mic done, when I put new I connected everything for the camera to make sure it worked but never mounted the camera, so maybe I'll get that done.... 🤣
Well, if you're tearing everything apart anyways, you can knock all this out at once. While you're waiting for the carpet to dry, you can whip up the seats with the components then it should be dry enough to do the wiring for the backup camera. The microphone can be done at any point, you just plug it in to the back of the head unit. My microphone is above my rearview mirror.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:55 PM

Well just because OTTP was having a spring sale, I ordered a few things. I was going to order a new shifter pivot cup, and a new shift know. Pivot cup to help with smoother shifting, and the shift knob to replace the brushed aluminum one that I have that gets hotter then the sun in the summer. Logged in and changed my address and seen I had store credit still waiting for me to use it, and ended up buying a whole new short shifter with with the knob and pivot cup. I have their older shifter which is a little bit bigger than their new one and ordered a black textured and engraved knob to go with the gunmetal shifter. Did I need a new shifter?.... not really, but its one more thing to look forward when I get home again.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
They make the kit for all Cobalts, including the LNF. In fact, it's the OEM.
I did the full thing: timing chain, balance shaft chain, water pump, and all the sprockets. Might as well do everything while you're in there.
Its another Bot. dont even respond. ill get it when im not mobile
The following users liked this post:
blu3_v1p3r (04-25-2024)